Employers Add 162,000 Jobs, Most In Three Years!
At Sklar & Associates, we’re excited that the economy and the advertising industry are rebounding, at long last. The job market is also showing signs of improving. In fact, the Labor Dept. says job openings in January were up 7.6% from December.
In a recent Barron’s article, Monster.com CEO Sal Iannuzzi, says the job market is picking up. He noted that Monster’s sales are expected to increase 15%-20% this year.
“Companies have held back so long, they just can’t anymore,” he says. “They are looking to hire.”
Gary Butler, CEO of payroll service ADP, says business from small companies is up. “If the low end of the market is starting to improve, it’s a great indication that the general economy is soon to follow.”
We feel optimistic for several reasons:
- The Economy is Getting Stronger. In fourth quarter, the economy grew 5.6%, according to the Commerce Dept. That followed a 2.2% increase in third quarter.
- Consumer Spending is Rising. Retail sales in February were up 3.9% from last year.
- Corporate Profits are Improving. The Wall Street Journal recently reported that pretax profits were up 31% in fourth quarter – the biggest jump in 25 years.
- Major Ad Categories are Growing. Auto, the No. 1 advertiser, is recovering. Sales so far this year are up 9.9% from 2009, according to research firm Morgan & Co.
- The Job Market Looks Bright. TheStreet.com attributes the surging stock market in part to a positive outlook for jobs. “Stocks were ticking higher Monday as markets…are anticipating job growth in March.”
We’re excited about the economy improving and the job market perking up.
Our goal at Sklar & Associates is to match the ideal candidate, from our pool of 20,000 media professionals, with our clients. We approach each search with your needs in mind.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.